TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1

18/09/2019 - 02/10/2019 (Week 4 - Week 6)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Typography
Project 1 - Text Formatting and Expression

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 4: Project Briefing
18/09/2019 (Week 04)

For the project one, we were asked to express a body of text typographically in a two-page editorial spread. We were also to design a type expression for the headline of the article we choose. No images are allowed although some minor graphical elements can be used in the headline type expression. We were briefed on how to use Adobe InDesign for the layout and we could Adobe Illustrator for the type expression. 

Lecture 5: No Lecture
25/09/2019 (Week 05)

No lecture was given during this week. Mr. Shamsul and Mr. Vinod assessed our project progress and instructed us on how to improve our work. 

Lecture 6: No Lecture
25/09/2019 (Week 06)

Just as previous week, no lecture was given and Mr. Shamsul and Mr. Vinod gave final feedbacks on our Project 1 progress. 


INSTRUCTIONS



Project 1: Text Formatting and Expression

Week 4-5
For our InDesign document, the page size given to us was 200mm x 200mm. I created 3 pages with two columns, 5mm column dither and margins of 10mm. In order to avoid the pages shifting around, I selected all the pages in the “Pages” panel and unselected “Allow selected pages to shuffle”. After that, I deleted the first page as that would create a good two-page spread.

Fig. 2.01: Create New InDesign Document


Fig.2.02: Deselect “Allow selected pages to shuffle”
After importing the body text to the page, I changed the number of columns to two. I adjusted the type size to an appropriate legible size. The number of characters in a line were taken into consideration as well. The number of characters were visible on the “Info” panel.
Fig. 2.03: Info Window

I adjusted the paragraph alignment and spacing by clicking the paragraph formatting on the tool bar. I kept the paragraph spacing same as the type size. I also turned off hyphenates and changed the default tracking to 5mm. When adjusting the characters to make the alignment better, Alt+Right Arrow/Alt+Left Arrow keys were used for tracking. We were briefed not to increase or decrease tracking by more than 3 times.
Fig. 2.04: Paragraph Formatting

Fig. 2.05: Adjust default Kerning/Tracking

Fig. 2.06: Adjust Body Text Tracking
After adjusting the body text, I moved to Illustrator to create the type expression for the heading. As the body text reflects on “Ethics” I decided to represent that in the headline. To do this, I used a tick (ΓΌ) to indicate “doing the right thing”.
I first typed out the headline and as I wanted to place the tick inside the letter C in ethics, I created a circle and cropped it in a way that it shows as a rotated letter C and also as a checkbox.

Fig. 2.07: Type Expression; Checkbox

I created the tick using rectangle too and curved two of the corners to make it look a bit more elegant.
Fig. 2.08: Type Expression; Tick

Fig. 2.09: Type Expression; Final 01

After the completion of type expression, I placed the artwork in InDesign.

Fig. 2.10: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 1

Week 6
During my week 5 feedback, I was asked to try out more designs for my headline type expression. As the article highlights on community, responsibility and doing the right thing, I kept these key terms in mind when developing the new expressions. First, I proceeded to see which typeface would be more suitable.  Then I created four more type expressions.
Fig. 2.11: Redesigned Type Expressions

Another feedback given to me was to adjust the kerning so that the right ragging would be less.

Fig. 2.12: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 2

After adjusting the kerning, I decided to try out different page layouts. 

Fig. 2.13: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 3

Fig. 2.14: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 4

Once I got the initial feedback, I set out to change the entire layout of my spread. First, I changed the layout from two columns to three as suggested. As the column width changed, I had to adjust the kerning as well.

Fig. 2.15: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 5

After that I decided to experiment more on the layout. In order to do this, I tried out different typefaces, size and adjusted the kerning accordingly.

Fig. 2.16: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 5, Adjusted Kerning

Fig. 2.17: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 6

Fig. 2.18: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 7

Fig. 2.19: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 8

For these new drafts, I adjusted 2 of the previous headline type expressions according to the feedback I received. I also created a one new headline type expression.

Fig. 2.20: Type Expressions; Final

Out of all the drafts created, I decided to go with Fig. 2.16, Draft 5 Adjusted Kerning. So, I imported one of the final type expressions into the file to see how it looks.

Fig. 2.21: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 5, with Headline Type Expression

However, I still wanted to try out a different arrangement. Therefore, I created two more drafts with different arrangements, different typeface and size, and different headline type expressions. I adjusted the kerning of the body text accordingly and aligned the headline type expression fit to the grid as much as I could.

Fig. 2.22: Text Formatting Spread; Draft 9

Fig. 2.23: Text Formatting Spread, Draft 10


Fig. 2.24: PDF; 3 Final Text Formatting Spreads

As I preferred Fig. 2.23, Draft 10 I proceeded to make final adjustment to the spread. In order to fit the headline type expression to the grid, I recreated it in InDesign. I adjusted the placement and spacing of the expression. I decided to go with this type expression as it shows elevation. I use this to represent the ethics mentioned in the body text as it reflects being on the moral high ground. As the letters H and I are connected and is shown to go out of the page, I added a small rectangle to the top left of the spread. This is to create a balance in both pages.  

Fig. 2.25: Text Formatting Spread, Draft 10, Headline Type Adjustments

Fig. 2.26: Final; Text Formatting Spread


Fig. 2.27: PDF; Final Text Formatting Spread



FEEDBACK

Week 4
-No feedback regarding Project 1-

Week 5
General Feedback: The general rule of thumb when dealing with large bodies of text is 55-65 characters per line.  However, Mr. Vinod briefed that when dealing with subtext or smaller columns we may go for the range of 35-50 characters per line. When we have bodies of text must be linked. If the size of one text box is reduced, it should automatically fill up the next textbox. If there are unlinked islands of text, the chances of accidentally deleting a part of the text are very high. This could result in costly consequences. When we use justify text, we have to be careful of rivers. If we are not using justification and using left indentation to indicate paragraph text is unacceptable. When using justification and left indentation, there should be no paragraph space as well. When we do the layout if we create more than one option, create new pages within the same file instead of creating a new file for each layout.

Specific Feedback: Mr. Vinod and Mr. Shamsul mentioned the expression of headlines can be better. They advised me to work on the expression a bit more. The body text seems fine. Mr. Vinod recommended starting the paragraph text right after the bold subheading after giving double spacing. 

Week 6
General Feedback: Mr. Vinod asked everyone get a mouse for class. He also again reminded us that when we make our text boxes it should be linked and not to use separate text boxes for each paragraph. All layout designs are to be in one file.

Specific Feedback: Mr. Shamsul and Mr. Vinod gave feedback regarding my e-portfolio as “Excellent e-portfolio, and thus far excellent work! Keep it up!”. For my project feedback, I was told to try three columns of text. Also, my 2nd type expression looks too playful compared to its representation of ethics. And the 3rd type expression seems too restrictive oppose to the rest of the body text alignment. Text boxes are better when aligned to the margin. 


REFLECTIONS

Experiences: During the week 4 assignment briefing, everything explained was pretty straight forward. When I started on my lout during week 5, I was able to do the basics of the spread with ease. However, I faces difficulties in alignment of the body text and adjusting the kerning. On week 6, I experienced with multiple layouts and typefaces and styles. This allowed me to understand critical thinking.

Observations: One of the first thing I observed in week 4 was how Adobe InDesign is more suitable when dealing with large bodies of text. I understood the need of it as a designer. During the process (week 5 & 6) I noticed how challenging it can be when dealing with kerning. This is because some words jump and down from line to line depending on the kerning.

Findings: Throughout the project I found myself facing challenges I didn’t quite know how to handle. At first choosing the right type size to determine the line length and later on the problems I face in kerning. However, this made me look for alternates. I ended up trying different typefaces and found out that not all typefaces can be used at the same size and same leading. I also found out why we need to be careful when designing type expressions as it needs to coexist with the body text, not stand alone on its own. 


FURTHER READING

Stop Stealing Sheep & find out how type works by Erik Spiekermann & E.M. Ginger
18/09/2019 – 25/09/2019 (Week 4-5)


Fig. 5.01: Stop Stealing Sheep & find out how type works

This book highlighted on the importance of typography and how the real-world concepts apply into typography. The book describes it as a powerful tool to get messages across. Either if it is on traditional print media or the newer screen versions. As typography is everywhere, we should be careful in finding the appropriate typography. Some typefaces are more suited for certain languages than others. This book also briefly looks into the history and development of typography.

One think I understood from the book is how typography can express emotions and personalities. How we can express human emotions such as surprise and joy by just using typography. Moreover, the type used will always have a desired purpose for it. A typeface used for official business documents may not be suitable for a restaurant menu and vice versa.

The book also talked about ways to keep up with the changing industry. As with the introduction of digital computers and software, experimenting with typography have become much easier. Magazines are one place we can find the most recent typographies. Added to that, the book shed some light on use to layouts and grids when. This proved to be helpful for me as it is relatable to project 1.
“Good typography has to be invisible”


Typography by Gavin Ambrose & Paul Harris
25/09/2019 – 02/10/2019 (Week 5-6)

Fig. 5.02: Typography

Gavin Ambrose & Paul Harris starts the book by giving an introduction about typography and a brief history about the development of typography. They mentioned the earliest forms of typography to the newest ways we practice today. This was followed by identifying different types and typeface styles. One interesting fact I learned from this book is the difference between italic and oblique. Another crucial information I gained was in the topic of typeface anatomy. I was able to have a good look at different parts of a typeface and their characteristics.

Next the book moves on to different type classifications. Such as, block, roman, gothic and script. Each of these were further explained with their differences in character and development and use over time.  This was followed by type families.

The most important content from this book for this project was Chapter 4; Setting Type. This is where I got an in-depth explanation regarding almost all the content we were briefed about in class. Leading, tracking, kerning, spacing, and legibility. It allowed me to refresh the knowledge gained in class.

Generally, one main intriguing thing about this book is the inclusion of Industry View at the end of every chapter. This is where real typographers and design firms share their experiences and concepts they have followed with their designs.

Comments