DESIGN PRINCIPLES - FINAL PROJECT: VISUAL ANALYSIS

25/06/2020 - 16/07/2020 (Week 11 - Week 14)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Design Principles
Final Project

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 08: Visual Analysis

As the name suggests, visual analysis is about understanding a work of art by focusing on the visual elements and principles of it. This also includes looking into how the designer communicates the ideas, content, or the meaning of the design to the viewer. This is a skill that helps people read and critically interpret images seen around us.

The following are the 3 phases of Visual Analysis:

  • Phase 01 - Observation: This implies closely looking at and identifying the visual elements of a design by trying to describe them carefully in own words. At this stage it is all about looking, thinking, and finding good language to communicate what is identified.
  • Phase 02 - Analysis: Analysis is thinking about what have been observed and trying to make statements about the work based on evidence of the observations. Such as details on specific design elements and how they complement each other to deliver the whole story.
  • Phase 03 - Interpretation: In the final stage, the observations, description, and analysis of the artwork are fused with facts about the design work and its historical context that is significant to the design itself.


INSTRUCTIONS

Final Project: Visual Analysis

To kick-off our final project we were asked to select and artwork that inspires us and to complete the 3 phases of visual analysis based off the selected design. The following is my selected artwork and visual analysis. It is also followed by my details on idea exploration. 

Fig. 2.01: Visual Analysis & Idea Exploration

I started my process by tracing the heron based on a reference image. I also selected a color pallet and used contrasting colors for background and the foreground. I used the pencil tool to draw the grass in multiple layers to give form to the layout. Next, I drew the canoe in the place of the heron’s beak.

Fig. 2.02: Design; Progress 01

Fig. 2.03: Design; Progress 02

Fig. 2.04: Design; Progress 03

Fig. 2.05: Design; Progress 04

Fig. 2.06: Design; Progress 05

Once the main details were illustrated, I created a gradient fill for the background and the heron and changed the blending mode to make it look more harmonized. This also made me realize that there were too many gaps in between the grasses so I drew additional grasses to fill the gaps.

Fig. 2.07: Design, Progress 06

Fig. 2.08: Design, Progress 07

Even though the blank spaces were filled, the design looked a bit flat. So, I went on to change the fill of random grasses to make it look more organic. I also added a gradient on top of all the layers to create more depth. After that, I started adding grain and ripple texture to the heron as it is the mangrove. On top of that, I added a sea foam/ripple texture to give the effect of light reflecting through the water.

Fig. 2.09: Design, Progress 08

Fig. 2.10: Design, Progress 09

I added a few lines that to make it looks like fishes swimming in the water. Before finishing off I added a subtle grain texture to the grasses and the canoe to blend everything together. Then, I added the typographic elements similar to how it was done in the book cover I analysed.

Fig. 2.11: Design, Progress 10

Final Artwork

Fig. 2.12: Final Artwork; The Girl With The Heron's Wings, Book Cover (JPEG)

Fig. 2.13: Final Artwork; The Girl With The Heron's Wings, Rationale (PDF)


FEEDBACK

On the consultations I shared my detailed visual analysis with Miss Anis, and she approved for me to proceed on to the design part of the project. Once I shared my initial idea exploration and sketch, she mentioned that it looks nice but to also try to take a bit more challenging approach were the heron is a long shadow casted on the lake. However, due to lack of time I proceeded with my initial concept and she said it looks good and allowed me to make final changes and make the submission.


REFLECTIONS

This project was an opportunity for me to dive deeper into the design principles. During the phases of analysis, I was able to inspect different artworks and see what things I found appealing in them. It definitely gave me a clear understanding of elements and principles of design. I also gained some exposure to design literature. I read a couple of research papers about gestalt theory which had information on the history and its applications in the creative design industries. Working on Illustrator once again was exciting as I was able to practice my drawing skills and explore more on textures.


FINAL REFLECTION

During these 14 weeks, I’ve gained a lot of extra knowledge on design principles and elements. As I had a similar module in a previous semester, I was already familiar with the basics of design principles. As we explored these principles further, I have gained more experience and confidence in my designs. One of the most important components I learned is how to achieve balance in an artwork. This was followed by more understanding on visual hierarchy. The two most beneficial experience for me was the Project 2 and Final Project. Project 2 was intriguing as I had to understand different angles and perspectives when portraying a room. Final Project was the most informative as it involved a bit of research on design principles and theories.

The module itself was undoubtedly very enjoyable. Working on designs that focused on a different principle each week with the use of different materials and mediums was interesting. A part of me really enjoyed working with traditional mediums. At the same time, this also posed a challenge as I have become more accustomed to digital medium. As the semester commenced during the COVID lock-down, it made getting the needed materials very difficult. Nevertheless, it was fun and brought on a sense of nostalgia along with the works.

One thing I did not expect to enjoy was the visual analysis. However, I ended up enjoying the examination of the details in the design of our choice. I also learned that I actually enjoyed looking through research papers to find more information about gestalt theory and its applications in the creative design industry. This made me want to read more about different researches done in the field of design.

The most obvious change in learning in this semester was the online lessons and lack of personal interactions. Although I miss the physical classes, there was no barrier in getting the information I needed. As lectures are recorded, I was able to refer back to them on multiple occasions. Miss Anis was always available to give feedback and always responds promptly.

If there is one suggestion I would like to make regarding the module, it would be to have a bit more interactive discussion sessions were students analyse a selected artwork weekly. This could be an opportunity to see different approaches in the industry and open our eyes to more the world. Regardless, Design Principles have become one of my favorite modules this semester. It was a priceless experience.

THANK YOU

Comments