DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY & IMAGING - PROJECT 2

04/10/2019 - 18/10/2019 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Digital Photography & Imaging
Project 2

INSTRUCTIONS

Project Brief

This project consists or two parts. Project 2A; Photo Manipulation and Project 2B Animated Still. For Project 2A we were asked to create a surrealist photo. The image needs to be surreal yet realistic enough for the eyes. Project 2B was about bringing the surreal image we created into life. We were asked to use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Aftereffects for this project. 

PROJECT 2A: Photo Manipulation
04/10/2019 – 11/10/2019 (Week 6 - Week 7)

First, we were asked to sketch our ideas for the surreal photo. I wanted to create an image with an environmental awareness message. My idea was to have a whale soaring in the sky and a person sinking in the ocean. The switched perspective of soaring and sinking of the main subjects are used to bring surrealism to the image. For further detail, I covered the persons face with a plastic bag and filled the belly of the whale with plastic waste. This is to create awareness on plastic wastage and how it affects everyone.

Fig. 1.01: Initial Sketch

Following are the images I used for this project.

Fig. 1.02: Sky Background, Taylor Van Riper, Unsplash

Fig. 1.03: Underwater 1, Cristian Palmer, Unsplah

Fig. 1.04: Underwater 2, Jeremy Bishop, Unsplash

Fig. 1.05: Underwater 3, Jeremy Bishop. Unsplash

Fig. 1.06: Underwater 4, Sebastian Pena Lambarri, Unsplash

Fig. 1.07: Orca, Clker-Free-Vector-Images / 29587, Pixabay

Fig. 1.08: Person Falling, Sandis Helvigs, Unsplash

Fig. 1.09: Person with Plastic Bag, Daniel Chekalov, Unsplash

Fig. 1.10: Plastic Bag 1, Adam Muise, Unsplash

Fig. 1.11: Plastic Bag 2, Paul Bence, Unsplash

Fig. 1.12: Plastic Bottle, Freepik

Fig. 1.13: Trash, Freepik

Fig. 1.14: Plastic Trash, Freepik

First, I created the background using three different images. I brought them to the canvas and created a layer mask to hide the areas I didn’t need.

Fig. 1.15: Background; Sky

Fig. 1.16; Background; Sea Level

Fig. 1.17: Background; Underwater

I imported the image of the person falling and the person with the plastic bag over the head. I created a layer mask on the person with plastic bag, leaving just the head. Then I overlapped both the images and matched the color to the underwater background. I carefully adjusted the mask on the plastic bag covered head to make it look like it’s the same image as the person drowning. I adjusted the blending mode and opacity as well.

Fig. 1.18: Imported and mask created; Person falling & Person with plastic bag

Fig. 1.19: Overlap & Match Color

Fig. 1.20: Mask adjustment

Next, I imported the image of the orca and duplicated the later to separate the black and white. I wanted to create a look where inside of the orca is filled with water. I used Bevel & Emboss, Inner Shadow and Inner Glow from the Layer Style to make it loo like the whale was glass/transparent. Then I imported two other underwater images to fill up the inside of the orca. I added several layers of plastic materials to fill up the water with trash. Each of these layers had their own masks and their color was matched to the water.

Fig. 1.21: Orca; Black & White separated into two different layers

Fig. 1.22: Layer Style adjustments to create transparent glass effect

Fig. 1.23: Filled up with underwater image and plastic trash added for details

To finish up the image, I clipped the trash layer to the orca and used cloud brush presets to balance out the sky.

Fig. 1.23: Final Image; Save The Oceans

PROJECT 2B: Animation
11/10/2019 – 18/10/2019 (Week 8 - Week 9)

In order to create the animation for the image, Mr. Jeffry showed us a tutorial on how to use Adobe After Effects. Firs, I created a new composition based on the resolution of the previous photo manipulation. I set the duration of the animation to five seconds. I imported the photoshop file to this new AE file as a composition so that I can adjust layer by layer.

Fig. 1.24: New Composition

Fig. 1.25: Import PSD File

First, I decided to animate the larger layers. So, I started off with the underwater layer. As I wanted the bubbles to rise up and expand to give more depth to the animation, I created a keyframe with the Scale adjusted. I placed the adjusted keyframe at the end of the timeline. I applied the same transformation to the sea level layer to give it movement. But instead of the water rising-up, I made the transformation horizontal.

Fig. 1.26: Underwater; Scale Transformation

Fig. 1.27: Sea Level; Scale Transformation

Next, I moved on to the person drowning. As I needed him to move downwards, I simply used Position Transformation. Then I moved that keyframe to the end of the timeline. I also wanted to give a bit of an organic movement to the body. So, I used puppet tool and made another keyframe to bring the movement.

Fig. 1.28: Drowning; Position Transformation

Fig. 1.29: Drowning; Puppet Mash Effect

After that I added animation to the clouds. I Simply used Scale Transformation to make them move to one side.

Fig. 1.30: Clouds; Scale Transformation

The remaining was to animate the Orca. I had to pay close attention to detail when doing it. Just like at the beginning, I animated the underwater layers first. Although this time I wanted to bring a bit of a rotation effect to the orca, I applied the same transformation values to the underwater layers as well.

Fig. 1.31: Sea Level; Scale & Rotation Transformation

Fig. 1.32: Underwater; Scale & Rotation Transformation

To animate the plastic trash inside the orca, I applied Position Transformation adjustments to each layer separately. This is to make it more natural as objects differ in density.

Fig. 1.33: Plastic Trash; Position Transformation

As the water is only in the black areas of the orca, I didn’t want any of the plastic trash to move on top of the white areas. So, I created two later masks to make sure nothing moves out of the black areas. I used pen tool to create the layer mask.

Fig. 1.34: Plastic Trash; Mask

For the last effect, I needed to bring some movement to the orca itself. So, I used Puppet tool to bring some subtle movement. Next, I applied Rotation Transformation adjustments to the orca.

Fig. 1.35: Orca; Puppet Mash Effect

Fig. 1.36: Orca; Rotation Transformation

In order to export the file, I added it to Adobe Media Encoder queue. As instructed in class, I chose H264 as the video format and rendered it.


Fig. 2.37: Final Animation; Save The Ocean

Comments