ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 02 (FINAL)

 

28/10/2020 - 18/11/2020 (Week 10 - Week 13)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Advanced Typography
Project 02 (Final)

LECTURE NOTES

- No Lecture - 



INSTRUCTIONS

Project 02: Exploration & Application

Week 10 – 28/10/2020

For our final project, we had to develop a font that is intended to solve a larger problem or be part of a solution in the area of our interest. At first, I had trouble coming up with a concept but later on remembered a project that I was working on before and how designing a typeface could be part of it. A client had asked me to design a brand portfolio for a vape shop with the theme of pirates. However, I was unable to find a typeface that was san-serif and looks modern enough. Most of the existing typefaces are either too playful or does not represent the theme to my liking.  

After I consulted with Mr. Vinod, he suggested that I do a bit of research on the movie franchise “Pirates of the Caribbean” and look at the graphical elements used in their scenes. So, I created a mood board with some existing typefaces I found and further references from the movies. 


Fig. 1.01: Exploration: Mood Board (PDF)


Week 11 – 04/11/2020

I started off with designing the letters using pen tool and creating strokes. First, I designed few characters to get an idea about how thick the strokes should be and the shape of. Later on, I constructed the 26 characters.

Fig. 1.02: Exploration: Character Design Process 01

Fig. 1.03: Exploration: Character Design Process 02

While adjusting the strokes I notice an interesting look in the letter N with the sharp edges going beyond the cap height and baseline. I decided to incorporate it into rest of the character design as it represents sharpness in some ways.

Fig. 1.04: Exploration: Character Design Process 03

To give further detailing to the letter, I decided to try and show cracked wood. But, once I was done, it looked more like cactus than cracked wood.

Fig. 1.05: Exploration: Character Design Process 04; Further details


Week 12 – 11/11/2020

After my consultation, I was given the feedback to add the sharp corner to the cap height as well. While doing it I decided to reduce the size of it.

Fig. 1.06: Exploration: Character Design Process 05; Amendments

As I did not like the cracks I used before, I gave it another try.

Fig. 1.07: Exploration: Character Design Process 06; Amended details

Once I was done with the characters, I move on to develop the numbers. I followed the same steps as before.

Fig. 1.08: Exploration: Character Design Process 07; Numbers

Fig. 1.09: Exploration: Character Design Process 08: Numbers details

During this week’s feedback, Mr. Vinod Suggested to move the end stroke of the letter Q lover as it was too close to the body.


Week 13 – 18/11/2020

Next, I proceeded to prepare the typeface to be generated on FontLab. I placed all the characters on a standard baseline and placed them accordingly.

Fig. 1.10: Exploration: Character Design Process 09

I Imported all the characters to FontLab and made adjustments to the letter spacing. At first I had trouble adjusting the kerning. After a few tryouts I was able to make the adjustments as I wanted.

Fig. 1.11: Exploration: Typeface Generation Process 01; Letter Spacing

Fig. 1.12: Exploration: Typeface Generation Process 02; Kerning

Once I was happy with the results, I exported the typeface as an Open Type – TT.

Before I proceeded with the collateral, I designed a simple logo using the typeface and an artwork I downloaded. I did not use too much graphical elements as I wanted to show the application of the typeface I designed.

Fig. 1.13: Application: Logo Design

Once the logo was ready, I started designing the remaining collaterals.

Fig. 1.13: Application: Collateral Design Process 01; Poster

Fig. 1.14: Application: Collateral Design Process 02; Packaging 01

Fig. 1.15: Application: Collateral Design Process 03; Packaging 02

I decided to use Futura Std Lite as the secondary typeface for the collaterals. I kept the graphic elements to a minimal to focus more on the typeface.

Below are the initial mock-ups I’ve created.

Fig. 1.16: Application: Sign Board Mock-Up (JPEG)

Fig. 1.17: Application: Poster Mock-Up (JPEG)

Fig. 1.18: Application: Packaging 01 (JPEG)

Fig. 1.19: Application: Packaging 02 (JPEG)

During this week’s feedback session, Mr. Vinod pointed out that the poster lacks context and power. Also, that I need to make sure people know what is being sold. To achieve this, he suggested to show the incorporation of the typeface with the product more rather than with just the packaging. Generally, he suggested that I lean on the collateral a bit stronger.

While following Mr. Vinod’s feedback, I made changes to the packaging layouts and created a product label as well.

Fig. 1.20: Application: Collateral Design Process 04; Packaging 01 Amendments 

To show the product more, I created another mock-up of the vape flavour bottles with the packaging.

Fig. 1.21: Application: Collateral Design Progress 05; Packaging 03

Once I was satisfied with the designs, I finalized all my artwork for this project.


Final Submissions for Project 02 (Final)


Fig. 1.22: Complete Set of Characters from the Typeface Designed; Dhun Boatu (JPEG)


Fig. 1.23: Complete Set of Characters from the Typeface Designed; Dhun Boatu (PDF)

Fig. 1.24: Collaterals; Final Designs Flat Lay (JPEG)

Fig. 1.25: Collateral 01; Sign Board Final Design (JPEG)

Fig. 1.26: Collateral 02; Poster Final Design (JPEG)

Fig. 1.27: Collateral 03; Product 01, Vape Flavour 100ml, Packaging & Labelling (JPEG)

Fig. 1.28: Collateral 04; Product 02, Vape Flavour 60ml, Packaging & Labelling (JPEG)

Fig. 1.29: Collateral 05; Product 02, Vape Flavour 60ml, Packaging Isometric View (JPEG)

Fig. 1.30: Collateral 06; Product 03, Vape Cotton, Packaging (JPEG)


Fig. 1.31: Compilation of Collaterals (PDF)



FEEDBACK

Week 10 – 28/10/2020

General Feedback: Make sure we find a solid problem that needs fixing and do research on the chosen problem.  

Specific Feedback: Concept is workable. Research on the elements that can be seen from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise. Can look into skulls and bones. Try to mimic traditional yet keep it modern. Looking into semi serif typefaces could help get things started. Details are everything. Focus on details.
 

Week 11 – 04/11/2020

General Feedback: E-portfolio files are not visible in some blogs. Incomplete or no posts on some exercise. Some e-portfolios look it is done in a hurry, need to pay attention to details.

Specific Feedback: Letters M & N looked interesting. Maintain the sharp angle that is at the cap height on the base line as well for all the letters. It will give a formal yet very casual look. Have a diagonal rule so that it is consistent through out the typeface.

Week 12 – 11/11/2020

General Feedback: Start thinking about how the application of the typeface and collateral designs. Make sure the thickness of the strokes are consistent.

Specific Feedback: Give a bit more distance between the Q’s tail and the stroke. When it stays too close to each other it is not very legible. Proceed with typeface generation and collateral design.

Week 13 – 18/11/2020

General Feedback: Finish e-portfolio and make sure everything is updated. All posts need to be completed by week 14. 

Specific Feedback: The poster lacks context and power. Need to make sure people know what is being sold. Show the incorporation of the typeface with the product more. Lean on the collateral a bit stronger. 


REFLECTIONS

Week 10 – 28/10/2020

Experience: For the final project, I had trouble coming up with a strong problem that needs a solution. When I saw a problem with a typeface, I understood that the problem is maybe just because I don’t find the typeface appealing and that was not a solid enough problem to base the entire project on.

Observations: Many of the classmates were doing dual-lingual typefaces. It was one of the options I had in mind as well, but after seeing the number of students working on a similar aspect, I decided to go in a different direction.

Findings: Sometimes, the right ideas are right in front of us. My choice of theme for the final project came from a client’s request, which I had not been able to commit to. I was thinking too hard to find a problem to solve while I myself had a problem that needed a solution. The realization made the process a lot easier.


Week 11 – 04/11/2020

Experience: This week was mainly a refreshment of the typeface design project from the last year. I was able to follow the same process as before with the use of paths and strokes. I went back and referred to previous notes and made me appreciate having the notes readily available.

Observation: When adding the details for the characters, I observed the importance of paying attention to details. As initially I added the details in a random manner, I was not satisfied the result I got. The chaotic look was not what I was trying to achieve with the typeface design, so I had to reconsider the details.

Findings: One thing I found out was that an imperfection in one character could add value to the entire typeface. Initially the sharp angle on the letter N & M were removed as I felt it did not fit in well with the typeface.  However, once I added similar sharp angles to all the characters, it gave the whole typeface a new look and improved the design.


Week 12 – 11/11/2020

Experience: I enjoyed designing the numbers. I think the experience from designing the characters made it easier working with numbers.  

Observation: I went and took a closer look at how numbers were designed for different typefaces. I was able to see small details that I did not notice before.  

Findings: When designing numbers and punctuations, I found it tricky when proportioning different parts of it. Especially with the comma, I had to carefully place it on the baseline and look at the angle and distance of the curves.


Week 13 – 18/11/2020

Experience: I will never underestimate the power of kerning ever again. I had trouble with the concept of letter spacing and kerning before. But, after this project I believe I have gained a much better experience when generating the typeface and hence, understand kerning better.

Observation: I was able to see how characters behave when placed next to another character. The overlapping space and kerning were an interesting process. I also observed that there is a need for kerning in characters that I did not expect would require it.   

Findings: While designing the collaterals, at first, I faced a challenge as the product I was working with was not entirely ethical. I tried to design the collaterals in a very discreet manner. At the same time, I found my approach could actually be beneficial to the client as it made the product more appealing with the use of bright colors, instead of the regular dark and dim colors. 



FURTHER READING

Week 10 – 28/10/2020

Typographic Design: Form & Communication, by Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders

Fig. 4.01: Typographic Design: Form & Communication, by Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders

Typographic Design Process – A Traditional Model (Page 221 – Page 222)

Fig. 4.02: Typographic Design Process (Page 221)

The chapter opens with an insight on how different designers proceed with their problem solving. It is understood that there is no single process or method that every designer must follow. One of the well-known models in design process consists of five stages. Although, these five stages are not leaner, rather it is an incorporation of each stage whenever the need for it arises.

Fig. 4.03: Stages of Design Process

At the Defining phase, it is important to understand the client’s needs and the intent and application of the solution they seek. Careful consideration needs to be made regarding their goals, objectives, audience, budget, and potential limitations. When it comes to Gathering phase, essential information regarding all aspects of the problem need to be collected through whatever possible means. It widely depends on the problem and the scope of the needed solution. Therefore, it is important to make use of any and all available resources.

I found these two components of the design process very valuable as it was very relevant to my Final Project. As I had decided to design a typeface for a client, I followed the mentioned phases. I started off by listing down the requirements given by the client and moved on to research on what I could incorporate into my typeface design. 


Week 11 – 04/11/2020

Typographic Design: Form & Communication, by Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders

Typographic Design Process – A Traditional Model (Page 222 – Page 224)

Fig. 4.04: Sketch Process by Yoon-Young Chai, Brent McCormick, Matthew Stay

The next phase in design process is Ideating. During this phase, the most important thing is to have an open mind and trying to think from different perspectives. Having a sense of experiment and going off on new and unexplored approaches could lead to limitless potentials. However, some experienced designers are known to follow a knowledge-based intuition. Meanwhile, this approach is safer for problem solving, it could limit the potentials for new possibilities.

Synthesizing or simply explained as test runs, are a way to measure how much of the problem is solved and what are the areas that still need to be improved and changed. The best way to evaluate how effective the developed solution is to go point by point against the criteria established at the beginning of the design process. This will ensure that all the needed areas are addressed and completed.

A designed solution has no place without the client’s approval. Therefore, it is always important to ensure effective communication with the client and designer to prevent confusion and misunderstanding. As clients do not think like designers, it is important to educate them in a simple way on the solutions designed and how it benefits the client. This will help to build mutual trust and respect between client and designer.

I saw this as an area that I need to work on as a designer. Thinking from different angles have always been a challenge for me. As a result, my design process takes a lot more time than it should. Moreover, sometimes I find myself working on a design without getting feedback on the designs throughout the process until the very end. As a result, the product turns out different from what the client had expected and results in having to redo majority of the work. Moving forward, I would ensure proper communication with the client as a way of building loyalty. 


Week 12 – 11/11/2020

Typographic Design: Form & Communication, by Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders

Processing Typographic Form and Idea (Page 223 – Page 225)

Fig. 4.05: Typographic Process; Sketching

There are several techniques that aid designers in processing typographic form and ideas. The main objective of typographic problem solving is to develop ideas baes on form and meaning. One of the most well-known way of doing this is through sketchbooks and process books. They can be either physical sketchbooks or digital. This process can also be done through photographs, drawings, writing and collecting thoughts. Therefore, a sketchbook becomes a rich collection of things observed and raw thoughts. As you update the sketchbook, it reflects the designer’s mental flights, observances, and voices. In the meantime, a process book records specific processes as they unfold. Having a process book helps in understanding the progression and see how much close to a solution you are.

Brainstorming and mind mapping are also well-known tools that can be used throughout the typographic process. Brainstorming sessions which are free from judgement allows greater idea generation in a group dynamic. Mind mapping is nonlinear brainstorming process with one central point of focus. This helps designers to identify potential content.

Another interesting concept discussed in this chapter was the use of word lists and interaction matric structures. It is said that this helps open the designer’s mind to broader areas and unexpected visual possibilities. As sometimes things that seem far too distinctive might just be the right combination to create something extraordinary.

Understanding these techniques made the process of idea generation much more convenient. As the scope of designers grow wider and wider, I sometimes find it hard to come up with original ideas. This was the first time I read about the matrix structure and I am intrigued to make use of it in the future. 


Week 13 – 18/11/2020

Typographic Design: Form & Communication, by Rob Carter, Philip B. Meggs, Ben Day, Sandra Maxa, Mark Sanders

Processing Typographic Form and Idea (Page 224 – Page 227)

Fig. 4.06: Typographic Process; Pasteboard

One problem often faced by a lot of us being unable to visually express an idea we have. As a result, the effectiveness of the idea cannot be fully evaluated. Some explain that the design process begins at the base of a pyramid with limitless options. But as we move upwards to the tip of it, the vision of a viable solution becomes more specific. Metaphorical thinking plays a role in typography as letterforms can suggest objects and ideas beyond their function. These can occur through careful manipulations, positions, rhythmic sequence and color. This process focuses on finding relationships between dissimilar ideas and objects.

Due to the rapid technological developments, a lot of designers heavily rely on computers. Although traditionally we sketch out on paper and then digitize it, some designers prefer to start directly with a digital version. There is no right and wrong of doing this as long as the process delivers and effective and creative solution. When working digitally, it is important to save the progression of your work as you go. This will provide a good source for future referencing and understanding of the process of the work.

This was a technique I have been following for some time now. Mainly due to the fact that we need to record the process of our work for the e-portfolio. Like it was mentioned in the book, I find it easy to go back and see through my process to understand what I was trying to achieve. This approach has proven useful to me multiple times.

Comments