DESIGN PRINCIPLES - WEEK 3: REPETITION, MOVEMENT, HIERARCHY & ALIGNMENT

30/04/2020 (Week 3)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Design Principles
Exercises

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 03: Repetition, Movement, Hierarchy & Alignment

This week we looked into another 4 design principles. 

Repetition can be used to make a work of design look active. The repetition of elements of design creates rhythm and pattern. 


Fig. 1.01: Repetition

Fig. 1.02: Repetition

Movement is how a design leads the eye in, around, and through a composition. Motion or movement in a visual image occurs when objects seem to be moving in a visual image. It can be achieved by shapes, forms, lines, and curves as well.

Fig. 1.03: Movement

Fig. 1.04: Movement

Hierarchy is the choreography of content in a composition to communicate information and convey meaning. 

Fig. 1.05: Hierarchy

Fig. 1.06: Hierarchy

Alignment is the placement of elements in a way that edges line up along common rows or columns, or their bodies along a common center. It creates a sense of unity and cohesion. 

Fig. 1.07: Alignment

Fig. 1.08: Alignment


INSTRUCTIONS



Exercises: Repetition & Movement

Part A: Repetition

I started off by looking up few inspirations for my design. What I had in mind was on the theme of plants.

Fig. 2.01: Repetition; Inspiration 1

Fig. 2.02: Repetition; Inspiration 2

I decided to design a wallpaper similar to Fig. 2.02. I created two digital designs and showed Miss Anis and she approved both.

Fig. 2.03: Repetition; Digital Design 1

Fig. 2.04: Repetition; Digital Design 2

As I preferred the second design, I traced it on plain paper.

Fig. 2.05: Repetition; Process 1

After tracing, I used color pencils to fill up the drawings.

Fig. 2.06: Repetition; Process 2

Fig. 2.07: Repetition; Process 3

Fig. 2.08: Repetition; Process 4
Part B: Movement

Keeping the plant theme in mind, I decided to draw a vine for the principle of movement. 

 Fig. 2.09: Movement; Process 1

Fig. 2.09: Movement; Process 2

When I consulted with Miss Anis, she said she liked the design and that it fits the principle well. I drew the sketch on another paper and used color pencils to fill up the design. I tested out the colors I wanted to use for light to dark shades. 
Fig. 2.10: Movement; Process 3

Fig. 2.11: Movement; Process 4

Fig. 2.12: Movement; Process 5

Fig. 2.13: Movement; Process 6

Fig. 2.14: Movement; Process 7

Fig. 2.15: Movement; Process 8

As the artwork looked a bit too monochromatic, I decided to give it a bit of shades of black. 

Fig. 2.16: Movement; Process 9 

Final Artwork

Repetition

Fig. 2.17: Repetition, Final Artwork; Plant Wallpaper

Movement

Fig. 2.18: Movement, Final Artwork; Adansonii Vine


FEEDBACK

I got positive feedback on both designs this week. I was told for both tasks the sketches were good and to go with whichever one I preferred. 


REFLECTIONS

Always thought creating patterns with repetition was easy. But during this week I realized the aspects of it and to think from different angles in order to make the design cohesive. While doing the artwork for movement, I learned a lot about using color pencils and how to use light and shades.  

Comments