DESIGN PRINCIPLES - WEEK 4: HARMONY & UNITY

07/05/2020 (Week 4)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Design Principles
Exercises

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 04: Harmony & Unity

The principle of harmony involves the selection of elements that share a common trait.  This can be achieved with colors, shapes, and size. Unity occurs when these elements are composed in a such a way that they are balanced and give a sense of oneness, creating a theme. Harmony and Unity work hand in hand.

Fig. 1.01: Harmony

Fig. 1.02: Unity 


INSTRUCTIONS



Exercises: Harmony & Unity

Part A: Harmony

As harmony can be achieved through the use of colour, I decided to look for some inspiration in monochromatic images.

Fig. 2.01: Harmony, Inspiration 01

Fig. 2.02: Harmony, Inspiration 02

Since I’m very fond of the ocean, I decided to use this as the theme for this week’s designs. I came up with a digital design of a bird’s eye view of waves.

Fig. 2.03: Harmony; Design Inspiration

Fig. 2.04: Harmony; Digital Design

As we were asked to use water color and materials that leave stamp marks, I decided to use cotton buds and toothpicks for my design. I started off by filling up the canvas with a light to dark blue gradient. I did this as my intentions were to use cotton buds and I didn’t want to leave any blank white areas on the canvas.

Fig. 2.05: Harmony; Process 01

Then I used the cotton buds to fill out the canvas.

Fig. 2.06: Harmony; Process 02

Next, I used white paint and toothpicks to add the sea foam to the waves.

Fig. 2.07: Harmony; Process 03

Part B: Unity

Continuing on the theme of ocean, for Unity I decided to paint an underwater shot of aquatic life. I came across a few images that inspired me.

Fig. 2.08: Unity, Inspiration 01

Fig. 2.09: Unity, Inspiration 02

At last I came across an interesting video of sting rays that made me want to use them as the subject of my design. I decided to make use of radial balance to bring unity to the design. I drew my idea onto a digital illustration.

Fig. 2.10: Unity, Design Inspiration

Fig. 2.11: Unity, Digital Illustration

Once again, I started off by filling the background with shades of blue. I used Paint brushes and a sponge to bring the effect of radial balance to the background fill as well.

Fig. 2.12: Unity, Process 01

Fig. 2.13: Unity, Process 02

I painted the rays with a lighter shade of blue and used white paint and cotton buds to fill them up.

Fig. 2.14: Unity, Process 03

Fig. 2.15: Unity, Process 04

Next, I used toothpicks to add more details to the subjects. I also used toothpicks to add more details to the background as well.

Fig. 2.16: Unity, Process 05

Fig. 2.17: Unity, Process 06

Final Artwork

Harmony

Fig. 2.18: Harmony, Final Artwork; Waves

Unity

Fig. 2.19: Unity, Final Artwork; Rays


FEEDBACK

I consulted with Miss Anis regarding my designs. Both received positive feedback and I proceeded on with my designs. 


REFLECTIONS

Using watercolor sounds like an easy thing to do but during these exercises I came across different techniques and trick that can be used to make the designs more appealing. I also enjoyed the use of materials to create stamp prints. Made me feel a bit nostalgic TBH.

Comments