DESIGN PRINCIPLES - WEEK 5: SYMBOL, IMAGERY & TYPOGRAPHY

14/05/2020 (Week 5)
Rifath Ali (0335738)
Design Principles
Exercises

LECTURE NOTES

Lecture 04: Symbol, Imagery & Typography

In design, symbols can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story. Fig. 1.01 shows the breakdown of different types of symbols.

Fig. 1.01: Types of Symbols

Pictorial Symbols – Image-related and simplified pictures

Fig. 1.02: Pictorial Symbol

Abstract Symbols – Looks like the object that they represent but have less details

Fig. 1.03: Abstract Symbols

Arbitrary Symbols – Have no resemblance at all to the objects or the idea they represent. Invented and constructed. Many are based on geometric shapes and colors.

Fig. 1.04: Arbitrary Symbols

Imagery is a vital part of design, be it print or digital. Users and viewers are able to relate to a concept or a brand if the right images are used in a work of design.

Fig. 1.05: Digital Imagery

Typography is the design and arrangement of text to convey a message or concept. Successful use of typography will result in visual hierarchy and balance in a work of design.

Fig. 1.06: Typography


INSTRUCTIONS



Exercises: Symbols, Imagery & Typography

Part A: Symbols

We were tasked with designing an arbitrary symbol and to write a 20 to 50-word rationale for our final design. We were given the freedom to use any medium of our choice. As I’m comfortable with the digital designs, I used Adobe Illustrator to create the symbols. With the use of shape and pen tool, I came up with 4 different symbols.

Fig. 2.01: Symbols; Process 01

After discussing with Miss Anis, she recommended few changes to the designs.

Fig. 2.02: Symbols; Process 02

As the symbol with the purple house was my preferred design, I chose it to be my final symbol.

Part B: Imagery & Typography

For the second exercise we had to create a design that has a combination of imagery and typography. I decided to use an image from my gallery and used a phase I always end up telling myself while buying plants. I used Photoshop to create my design.

Fig. 2.03: Imagery & Typography; Process 01

I erased parts of the characters to blend it well with the image. I also added shadows to create depth to the design.

Fig. 2.04: Imagery & Typography; Process 02

After consulting with Miss Anis, few changes were brought before finalizing the design. 

Final Artwork

Symbols


Fig. 2.05: Symbols, Final Artwork; Domestic Violence, Rationale 

Imagery & Typography

Fig. 2.06: Imagery & Typography, Final Artwork; Just One More Plant


FEEDBACK

During my consultation with Miss Anis, I received constructive feedback regarding both exercises. For the symbols, she pointed out that for the symbol with the leaf, it would be better to use curvy lines as it is more organic. And for the purple house, she recommended to use more cracks.
For the second exercise she said the overall design was good. But she asked to bring the letter R to the foreground as it is easy to misread the text as it is hidden too much. 


REFLECTIONS

The main challenge this week was designing the symbols. It was really hard to come up with a simplified concept for an arbitrary symbol. It was a good learning experience. The typography exercise gave me a chance to revisit what was taught previously during the Typography class. 

Comments